Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Getting to NYC

So as not to overload all of my readers with a huge post, I've decided to divide up the NYC trip into more than one post. Enjoy!

As many of you know I was not looking forward to flying to New York. I was definitely excited for the trip, but I had been in an ever increasing state of anxiety in regards to flying there. Every day that the scheduled flight grew nearer, the worse my anxiety got. By the actual day of the flight, I wasn't sure I could actually board the plane. The entire day I was nervous to the point of puking. I made myself eat lunch so that I wouldn't get sick when I took the Benedryl.

Wendy picked us up right on time and dropped us off at the airport. After we got seated at the gate I took 3 Benedyls. I ended up take 3 more later during the flight. Although I felt lightheaded, I never did sleep. My adrenaline pretty much pumped for the entire flight.

As the plane started to make its way to the runway for takeoff, I wanted off BAD - so bad in fact I started crying! Yes, I cried. I'm not even ashamed to admit it because if they would've given me the option, I would have gotten off. I hate takeoff. It feels weird and is completely terrifying.

I didn't do much better for the rest of the trip. I really wanted to be asleep, but I just couldn't relax enough to do so. I was so nervous I was shaking for a large part of the flight. I also like to rock back and forth and move my leg up and down at a ridiculous speed. I partly do it because I hope if the plane shakes a little I'll trick myself into thinking it was just me. I also do it because I can control it.

We went over a storm at one point, and therefore, encountered some turbulence. I lost it. I hyperventilated. I know that's bad, but again, I'm not ashamed. I was scared out of my mind! And Bryan was so good to me. He did his best to calm me down. And though he probably thought it didn't make a difference, having him there made all the difference in the world. I know I got us quite a few funny and annoyed looks. I can't believe he was so nice and comforting about the situation. He must really love me! :)

FINALLY after a little over 3 hours we reached our destination. I know this is odd, but I actually enjoy landing. At the point where you can tell what cars are, I get pretty excited. All of the anxiety melts away, and I am able to enjoy myself and the landing. It was awesome to see all of the lights; there were soooo many! It was quite breathtaking, and I'm glad I got to witness it. Landing is actually kind of fun. I've never experience a bad landing so I still enjoy it.

I have decided that flying is a form of cruel and unusual punishment. However, it really was worth it (I can say this because I'm alive!) because we had an awesome trip. I probably would never have gotten to experience the things I did if I hadn't boarded the plane. I also am convinced that I have a true phobia. I have already looked into some options to getting over it, but more on that later.

In the next post I'll tell you all about our adventures in NYC. :) There are tons of pictures.

1 comment:

yellow_gin said...

Thanks! My boyfriend actually found your site for the return trip home. We used the suggestion of asking to meet the pilot which really helped. I also liked that you explain the science behind a lot of the weather/turbulence. I am very interested in your program. I will probably enroll before I fly again.