Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Aerophobia

So later today Bryan and I will be boarding a flight for NYC. Bryan is super excited. He's excited to show me where he grew up and to see his family that he misses greatly. Bryan is excited, and I'm well...quite the opposite. Don't get me wrong - I'm VERY excited to see Bryan's family again and also the Big Apple for the first time. Going to NYC has been something I have only dreamed of up until this point. I really look forward to being around all of Bryan's family at the same time and also seeing where he grew up. I love learning about his past. I'm also going to meet up with some people that I graduated high school with which will be awesome.

The only problem is in order to get to all this great things I have to fly. I HATE flying. I'm scared shitless to fly. I know its all irrational. I know I'm being silly or just paranoid. It's all in my head. I know! And still I'm terrified. Allow me to illustrate. The first time Bryan mentioned the idea of us going to New York I got nervous. When the flight was booked that nervousness kicked into overdrive. Every time the trip has been brought up I have gotten super nervous causing me to sweat, get an upset stomach, lose my appetite...you name it! The closer the inevitable date came the worse the experience. I finally decided that in order for me, Bryan, and the passengers/workers to enjoy this flight was for me to be completely knocked out. We batted around several ideas before finally landing (a little pun humor) on one today. The plan: I have to stay up for over 24 hours and 30 minutes before the flight I'm taking 4
Benadryls. I am really praying that this plan works. My hope is that I wake up in New York completely unaware of how I arrived there. I don't care if Bryan has to drag me off the plane, but for his sake I really do hope I can walk off in some fashion on my own.

You know what would make me feel immensely better about plane rides? It's so simply. All I want is a parachute. Do you think they would allow one as my carry on? I did some research on buying one just now. It doesn't appear to be something you can run down to the local outdoor store and pick up. The only good site I found was really expensive. Dammit!

Here is what Wikipedia.com had to say about Aerophobia (fear of flying):

The fear of flying may be created by various other phobias and fears:[2]

  • a fear of closed in spaces (claustrophobia), such as that of an aircraft cabin NOT ME
  • a fear of heights (acrophobia) TOTALLY ME
  • a feeling of not being in control TOTALLY ME
  • fear of having panic attacks in certain places, where escape would be difficult and/or embarrassing (agoraphobia) NOT ME
  • fear of hijacking or terrorism NOT ME
  • fear of turbulence TOTALLY ME
  • fear of flying over water or night flying EH
  • fear of crashing resulting in injury or death YES, YES, YES!!!!!
Okay focusing on the time spent between flights - I am really excited about all the fun things we have planned while we are in New York. I know that I will truly enjoy my time there. I can't wait to blog about all of the fun things we did. But first we still need to pack!

Off the subject - Here is a picture I took of Bella today (in her cave):


Also in other news - I went to Kung Fu for my 2nd class tonight. It was a lot of fun, and I learned more of the material. Between Kung Fu and TKD I have a lot to practice. I hope the mind is as great as I hear it is because I will definitely be taking it to its limits as I try to learn all 4 martial arts. Seriously though, this is a dream come true! :D

No comments: