Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Red Clay Hills Are Calling My Name

I really don't find myself homesick often. I have made made my home here in Austin and also with Bryan. However, there's a big annual event each year in my hometown this weekend, and I'm missing it! I had every intention of going and taking Bryan along, but then I learned that testing was happening the same weekend. I've known for well over a month now that I wasn't going to get to go, but now that that weekend is right upon us, I'm finding it difficult to ignore that I'm stuck here in Austin while all of my fellow Philadelphians are living it up. I have only missed this even like once in my entire life! If you grow up in Philadelphia, MS you go!

What is it? I know that's all you're asking yourself. I hesitate to even say because it's just something that can't be explained in words. It's an experience that you must have to truly understand and appreciate it. Even though I don't think you'll understand, I'll give it my best shot.

It's called the Neshoba County Fair a.k.a. Mississippi's Giant House Party. It's a county fair like the ones you may have attended or just seen on t.v. But this fair is that plus so much more.

Here's a little history I took from the official site:
The first fair was called the Coldwater Fair and was held in 1889. Two years later in 1891 the fair was organized as a private corporation called the Neshoba County Stock and Agricultural Fair Association and was moved to its present site. Admission was charged for the first time in order to operate the fair. The Neshoba County Fair remains a self-supporting non-profit organization today with operating funds derived mainly from admissions and concessions. Families coming to the Fair began camping on the grounds for the duration of the fair. In 1894 a pavilion was constructed and a hotel was built to accommodate visitors. Cabins began to replace wagons and tents and in 1898 the oaks were planted that shade Founder's Square today. The first cabins were simple one story structures with some being log cabins. The Neshoba County Fair has grown from a two-day meeting of local farmers and their families to an eight day Giant House Party in over 600 cabins and over 200 RV campers. The traditions of the Fair continue today. Families still gather for reunions and friends, old and new, visit every summer as they have since 1889.

Ok so now you've read the history of this fair, but trust me when I say you still don't get it. The fairgrounds are huge. They are covered with streets and streets of "cabins" each as unique as the family that owns them. There are hundreds of these things.

Here is a map (sorry it's not the best resolution) - each of those boxes is a cabin:


The fair starts on a Friday and runs to the following Friday. During this time you stay in these cabins. Well, that's if you or your family owns one (they are expensive and are usually passed down). If you are fortunate enough to have one to stay at (most people house many outside of their family), you'll have to make the drive and then walk each time you come back (probably every night :D).

What do you do all week? What don't you do is a better question. You can and should:
  • sleep half the day and stay up half the night
  • drink - a lot
  • ride rides/play the games
  • go to concerts
  • visit with friends and family (all day every day)
  • play in the rain (you will stain your clothes from the red clay)
  • play cards or games at your cabin - have a tournament - gamble!
  • go to the fleamarket on Saturday
  • watch the Heart O'Dixie triathlon
  • go dancing
  • sit on the porch swing - maybe for hours
  • read the Fair Times (yes, the Fair has it's own newspaper)
  • eat a lot - sample something from every cabin you go to
  • dress up at night
  • go to hometown pride day
  • leave once but only to do laundry...maybe find a pool
  • listen to the political speeches (if it's an election year)
  • go to the horse races (listen on the radio if you're too lazy or hot)
  • attempt a chair race (this is how you get seats for the beauty pageant/main concerts)
  • attend the beauty pageant
  • attend a cabin party
  • attend the luau
  • walk through the exhibit hall (think prize winning produce and 4-H crafts)
  • try not to pass out (MS humidity is the worst especially at the this time of year
And after all of that you still won't get it. There are thousands of people and hundreds of cabins and never a dull moment. Every cabin is unique. Each family/cabin has its own traditions...even certain streets have traditions. It couldn't be more unique. Cabins can be decorated any way; the can express your college, your favorite colors...the sky's the limit.

Here are some albums I have on Facebook that are from past fairs.
NCF 2005
NCF 2005 cont.
NCF 2006
NCF 2007

A little about my cabin:
  • my grandfather built it
  • the bottom walls are built from cinder blocks that my grandfather retrieved when a tornado hit the fairgrounds destroying the grandstand
  • the cabin has been a hundred (not literally) colors over the years
  • the staircase leading to the 2nd floor is spiral (it is easy to hit your head)
  • the inside is currently decorated in all things Coca-cola (my aunt has a mild obsession)
  • there are at least 6 bunk beds upstairs (many of them are twin for the couples)
  • there is always a box of swiss cake rolls and a pack of Oreos (but only one of each so don't down them all on the first night)
  • granny always sends a cake and chicken spaghetti
  • the alcohol is under lock and key ;)
  • everyone is welcome - yep, even you!
Even with all of this information that I have given you, you still won't get it. But I am willing to take all that want to go to next year's Neshoba County Fair.

So if you see me next Saturday and I look a little down...that's why. :D

1 comment:

BlueSparrows said...

I want to go!


You gotta fix the lock n key alcohol situation though, or I guess being of age I could just bring my own :)