Thursday, July 31, 2008

That's A Real Bummer

You won't be seeing me online during work hours any longer. Gone are the remote desktop days at work. So if I seem to have just disappeared today...well, get used to it. It sucks, but that's life for you.

Another update:

Awhile back I mentioned in my blog that my friend and old roommate Jason were on the outs. I also wrote about us having a big heart to heart one day. Well, Jason went on vacation for a couple of weeks shortly after us having that conversation. I would just like to report that we have managed to work out our differences and get rid of all the grievances that were between us. I feel more like the "team" we were such a long time ago before I ever moved to Texas.

Speaking of moving to Texas....I have now lived here for a full year (this week to be exact). Yep, I moved here the Saturday after the fair this time last year. Wow...it's already been an entire year and an eventful one at that. So, just what have I done in this year?

  • I have lived in 1 apartment, 1 duplex, and now a house.
  • I have worked for 3 companies (including my current position)
  • I have been unemployed twice (that sucked!)
  • I have met the man of my dreams
  • I have adopted this man's two cats (wow - I have 3 cats!!!)
  • I have made awesome friends (and lost some along the way)
  • I have met a lot of people!
  • I have experienced a lot of Austin (and loved every bit of it)
  • I have registered to vote in Texas and gotten Texas license plates
  • I have eaten more Mexican food than I had ever imagined possible
  • I have been back to Mississippi 3 times (that's a 10.5 hour drive one way!!)
  • I have proven to myself that I can really do anything I want, that I'm stronger than I ever thought
I truly do love Austin and all the people here. I can't imagine living anywhere else. That's a pretty big deal considering that I had never even been to Austin until I drove in with my car loaded down.

But just because I love it here in Austin doesn't mean that I don't miss home. For everything I've done here, I feel like I have missed 3 things at home. I'm not just talking about the Neshoba County Fair either. I have 3 siblings (12, 7, and 3), and every time they do anything, I miss it.

One day while Bryan and I were driving around this song came on. I was so taken by the first few lines of the lyrics.
ZZ Top My Heads In Mississippi Lyrics

I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand,
But my head's in Mississippi.
I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand,
But my head's in Mississippi.
The blues has got a hold of me.
I believe I'm gettin' dizzy. (Spoken: Help me now.)
Tomorrow's Friday! Thank goodness! I really need it. What a week! Plus, I have been awaiting this senior green belt for too long! Please give it to me already!

1 comment:

BlueSparrows said...

You've done a lot in a year!