Friday, May 23, 2008

Eat-Stop-Eat (Currently Stop)

Ryon turned Bryan onto this book called EatStopEat. I'm horrible at explaining things like this so I'm gonna steal right out of Bryan's blog posting that he wrote earlier today.

The basic idea behind this is as follows:

"Diets" or "eating plans" most often fail in the long term. Sure, in the short term, they might work really well. How many of you have tried the "South Beach Diet" or the "Abs Diet"? I have. I got pretty good results for the first couple of months, then pretty much said "fuck it, this is way too much work", and went back to whatever I was doing before I started.

Some of the myths/misconceptions that this book speaks to are:

  • the idea that fasting will kill your metabolism.
  • the idea that you will lose muscle mass from fasting.
  • that eating 6-8 times per day will "stoke" your metabolism.
  • why eating "plans" or "diets" typically fail once you extend the observation period.
So, currently we are in the stop process...no eating. The 24 hour mark is approaching. I thought this would be harder, but I'm actually doing quite well. We're going to try to do this twice a week. I'll save judgment for now. I don't know how I'm gonna feel the next time it's time to fast. I might find myself weak to the temptation to get my grub on, but I'm optimistic. It would be awesome if this turns out to work. At least I don't have to prepare any crazy meals or even a lot of simple meals. If you know me well, you know that I'm a procrastinator and always running behind meaning I'd never be able to keep up with meal preparations. I also can't cook worth a shit so there goes me making any meal period. But I might be able to not shove food in my mouth for a day. At least one would hope I could. Hopefully, there will be two pluses to this - lose weight and save money. I love to kill two birds with one stone. :D

The 24 hour mark will be up when we arrive to see the Indiana Jones movie tonight at the Alamo. Thank you Alamo for serving food! I usually don't partake of the food there, but tonight I can promise you that we will both be chowing down. Hmmm...what to eat, what to eat. Suggestions?

Well, the day is almost over. Five o'clock draws ever nearer. It's Memorial Day weekend which means good food and most importantly a day off from work. Yeah, I know I'm loving this new job, but I love lazy days at home more. :) However, I really doubt it will be too lazy since the moving starts on Sunday and continues into Monday. Sunday comes clothes and the necessaries and the cat. Thanks to Bryan's trip to New York on business the furniture has been pushed up a weekend and will now occur on Monday. Thanks to Jason (my current roomie) for offering up his muscle power and truck. Without these it would be a very difficult move indeed. It's important to me to get this furniture in because of Bryan's mothers upcoming trip. I want everything in the house to be really nice looking. Plus I need a little touch of my own there. :)

Ok, well I will keep you updated on the new diety thingy, TKD, the move, integration of the cats, the job, and whatever else I'm up to these days. Have a great Memorial Day!

2 comments:

murmurkibbies said...

So how does this work? Do you eat like you want one day, then not eat at all the next day? Actually sounds like something I could do.

yellow_gin said...

Well, you eat like you normally do and then twice a week you eat nothing for 24 hours. Your body will still burn the same amount of calories = you lose weight. Reading the book is the best b/c it explains a lot of myths about diet plans and such.