Friday, May 9, 2008

A New Chapter...

Well its been another long week of work...and commuting. But Thursday that all changed...

To get to this point I need to go back a little. Most of you who read my blog don't know about my previous employer - Lighthouse Remodeling. I loved that job...not my boss. No, I pretty much hated him (yes I used hated), but I loved the job. And though working there quickly turned sour, it was one of the most important jobs I think I'll ever have. Why? Because that is where I gained a lot of confidence. Before Lighthouse I had never had to talk to clients or vendors. I was always in the background. It didn't take me long at Lighthouse to realize that I loved talking to clients. I've always loved to talk and never meet a stranger but talking to people in the work environment was a new thing for me. And since I held that job I have found so easy to talk to people which is good because I found myself looking for a job one day unexpectedly. Lighthouse (the 7 day remodel) crashed and burned. Not because we tried to do a remodel in 7 days but because of bad and idiotic management. I better not get into that rant. :) So one day I come in to the biggest disaster ever. That place couldn't have been more screwed up. And every single person working there found themselves jobless and most being owed paychecks. So, I went job hunting.

I interviewed at many places. The job I wanted the most was for a construction company called Lott Brothers. It's less than a mile from my house. It was the best interview I've ever been on. I loved the company's mentality. Plus, my whole background has been in construction. Alas, they didn't think I fit the position. And as many of you know, I went with a company called LGI Financial Solutions. It's a 3rd party leasing company. I like everyone here at the company, but I do not like my job. At first it was hard, but once I had learned it...it was only repetitive and boring. It didn't take me long to realize there was no career path here for me. And the commute! I live in North Austin, and LGI is very, very South. I quickly grew weary of spending so much time driving especially lately as gas prices have soared. I was so tired when I got home that I found I skipped a lot of my TKD classes. No, I definitely was not happy. I wanted change, but I was both scared and unsure how to make it happen. This was the blog I posted about not complaining about things I have the power to change...fyi for those who were wondering. I guess I didn't do much to change my situation. It more or less fell right into my lap. Hmm...either way a change occurs. Lets not get caught up in the details.

Let me tell you how it happened. Lott Brothers contacted me at random about a month ago to ask if I was available. I was! They had liked me, but I just didn't fit the original position I had applied for. However, they wanted me for a project manager's assistant. Thursday I went in to interview and was hired! This is going to change my life. I have to stay with LGI for at least a week while they search for my replacement. They took it much better than I had played in my head which made it much less stressful for me. I'm super excited to get to my new job. I'm glad to go back to my roots in the construction industry. It was just random luck I ever got into it, but the industry quickly grew on me. Perhaps it was always in my blood. My grandfather does mostly dirty work, and I grew up surrounded by heavy machinery. I dunno the reason, but I do love the construction industry. I will keep everyone posted on the transition. I'm ready to start but do have a loyalty to LGI. I need to leave guilt free which means doing whatever possible to make them have a smooth transition.

Let me recap the weekend so far...

Friday:
I cooked dinner...Dorito casserole. After eating we just lounged...drank some tea...played some Simpson's on PS3...it was quite nice. After giving the "news" to LGI it was a stressful day and the lazy night was most appreciated.

Saturday:
We slept in because though Friday night was lazy, we stayed up way too late. I went to class. It was a great class, but I was disappointed when I got to work with the instructor one on one to go over my one step sparrings. I forgot everything! I dunno where my brain was. However disappointed I was in my lack of memory, I was glad for the moment because I realize there is nothing for me to get cocky about. A lot of practice is still required before testing on the 31st. There is still time, but it must be spent well.

Tonight Bryan and I went to celebrate my new job at Truluck's....sooooo good! I love that place!! It was very sweet for Bryan to take me there. After that we spent a little time at his house and then headed out to meet everyone at Sam's Boat for drinks/crawfish/pool. After that we went to Ben's for TV and finally home to bed. Another late night. I suppose tomorrow we will be sleeping in again...just the way I like to start a Sunday off. :)

Tomorrow I have the monthly meeting for my photography group. That should be fun. It's Mother's Day as well. I will have to give my mom and step mom a call.

No comments: